Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sad, confused, and extremely grateful

Facebook has been so fun for me. I love to connect with people I haven't seen in a long time. It's fun to see where they are in their life. I love to see pictures of their kids. It's fun to tell stories from school or the young single adults. It's great and I love it. The thing I don't love though...? The reality of where some of my friends have led their lives. It is so hard for me to understand how someone can be so faithful to their religion. Live the gospel and even serve a mission and then decide that they are homosexual. I know that seems like it came out of nowhere, but I have so many friends from growing up that are now homosexuals. Most of them served missions. They were examples to me in times of trials. I looked up to them and their testimonies. I feel let down. I do love Facebook. I just don't like the reminders I get about the lifestyle choices that have been made by so many of my old friends. They aren't all homosexuals. But plenty of them have left the church. I read their status updates about their night at the bars or clubs. The foul language they use. I see pictures of them holding their beers. It's sad. I feel bad for them and choices they have made. I worry for them. But then I feel so grateful that I still have the gospel in my life. I read these things and it encourages me to stay strong. To be the one setting the example now. When I was in YSA it always bothered me that people would instantly start talking about church or "good" things when I would come around them. I always thought, " I wanna talk about what you guys are talking about". But then it dawned on me. Why should I be bothered by the fact that they are protecting me? My Patriarchal blessing talks about how I will be an example to my peers. That they will be able to feel my closeness to the Savior. I changed my attitude. I started to feel happy that the gospel is what's brought to mind when I am around. Even when I chat with some of my old friends on Facebook the topic always ends churchy no matter how the conversation is started. I sometimes miss the YSA days. We had a lot of fun. We were young, silly, faithful, and straight. But I am so grateful that I still have the Gospel in my life. I am so grateful that I can have a turn being an example. I'm not saying that I am perfect. I'm not saying that I never say inappropriate things. But I am saying that I love the Savior. I am so grateful to have a testimony of Him. I am grateful that every Sunday I get to go to church. I am so grateful for my family and for all my friends. I love my husband and I know that he loves me. I am so grateful that he has a job that allows me to stay home with our beautiful children. I love my children and I'm so grateful that they are so forgiving. I'm still learning how to be a mom. I am also so grateful for the Atonement and repentance. For the opportunity I have to try again everyday. I hope that I can be a good example to my children and all those around me. Oh, and I am grateful for sunshine and smiling faces.

7 comments:

Jaye said...

Daya - I feel the same way. In my case, it is my best friend. We grew up in the church. Her dad was our bishop, she did everything molly mormon, and now she is a 'swing hitter'
When CA had to vote on Prop 8 I really struggled. It is hard to choose church over friends. I still worry about the crap I am going to get from people for voting yes on Prop 8.
Like you said, we can just be examples. Your family was such a good example for us, that you all helped us get to the temple.

xoxo

Liz Autry said...

I am sooooo with you. So many of the people I went to high school with are no longer members. And some of the stongest people I knew as well. I also have made some major mistakes since then, but I have recovered, and all the while stayed in the church. Like you, I am sad every time I find a friend who has a totally different lifestyle now. One friend I found actually said when I friended him. "How did you recognize me without the hair and the religion?"

Linds said...

You are so awesome Daya!!! You keep up all the good example work that you are doing.

Nicole W. said...

Daya, I am with you! I have felt so sad lately too....it seems like more and more people on my facebook from the YSA days are turning up innactive. completely left the church. a few o them are even couples who were sealed in the temple and now have families? i can't make sense of it either. it breaks my heart. I am glad that I have found my strength in the scriptures and I will never let go!!!
you do the same and maybe some day we'll have a chance to help them back. xo

Michelle said...

That was an awesome post. I really admire you for saying what you said. Sometimes I feel like homosexuality is something we just have to accept instead of something we can fight. The media surely makes us feel like we are out of place for standing up for what we believe in. But yeah, it is so disappointing to see people we were close to decide live a life that will never bring them happiness. I just keep thinking that when they are old and unhappy, they will wish they lived their lives differently. Anyhow, thanks for the great post!

The Woolner Family said...

Yeah, I don't know why people have to be so "gay". He he he. I just HAD to write that. You know friend, that's been bugging me a lot lately too. We just had that lesson in Sunday School about how the children of Israel needed to always remember lest they forget. I wish more people today would take that to heart.

Lynell Rogers said...

I'm with you - I didn't grow up in the church, but I've had a lot of friends join the Church over the years who have turned away from the gospel. Catching up with those people can be bittersweet. The good news is that there is always a chance that they'll come back. Especially when they have friends who are good examples to remind them. About 10 years ago I found out that one of my college friends (who had been baptized when we were roommates) had decided to adopt an "alternative" lifestyle and had a live-in girlfriend. About 2 years ago, I heard from her again. She told me she decided she couldn't keep denying what she knew in her heart was true. That was the best news EVER! She has returned to the Church...she has been active ever since and has her received her endowments. (So even if you think its never gonna happen, it still can!)